Sunday, January 24, 2010

I am first, truthfully




I got to watch Face the Nation this morning for the first time in quite some time. It was interesting to see politics in action between the Republicans and Democrats, as they leave so much to chance - - a veritable crap shoot to see who, at the end of the day, will have more political chips, clout, money, voters, etc.

I watch all this political hand-wringing and talk of Supreme Court this, and senator that, and health care this, and reform that, and Republican this, and Democrat that, and it does not fill me with hope.

I think it's important, as Christians, that we retrofit our policies and procedures to fit the teachings of Christ, as laid out in his infallible word.

It's more important that we do not retrofit Christ to fit our policies, procedures, teachings, politics, and dogma.

I want to throw some logic at you, that you may not want to hear. Christ loves Barack Obama, and He loves Nancy Pelosi. He loves Scott Brown and John McCain. He loves the emergent church, and loves the prosperity church. He loves you and He loves me. And he wants us to love Him the same way: Thoroughly, completely, and unabashedly. If we do that, on His terms, and not ours, then we will truly be in communion with Him.

To say "I am second" and to be "I am second" are two totally different things. Hopefully through my daily winnowing by attempting to walk, I will be able to achieve that. Truly dying, so I can live.

This is not me being morose or maudlin. This is me speaking from the heart, and also because I am growing tired from all of the political rubric and rhetoric.

I'm not yet second. But i want to be.

No comments: