SAD: I found out that an old friend passed away yesterday. He was someone that I met while at East Texas State, and after I left Commerce, we didn't see each other a ton - crossed paths a couple of times and then I we found each other through Facebook. Smiley was a great guy, and I am sorry for his close friends and family. I understand that he was part of a powerful ministry through his praise band before he grew ill, and that is very heartening for me. That was a sad start to the rainy day cycle.
HAPPY: I found out this morning that our 3rd child is going to be the 3rd heir to the Scott throne - another little boy. We have found out each and every time what the kids were going to be. Charlie (diagnosis by exclusion, if you know what I mean) was supposed to be Grace Elizabeth. I'm glad he is Charlie. Matt (who is really Chris, but I got name envy) was clearly a male, and this third child, through proud display, is a boy too. This paragraph added sun to my rainy day. :)
Whenever I get blue or pensive, I cook. Usually something complex (because it distracts the mind from what I am currently thinking and leads the mind to an altogether more disturbing train of thought), but sometimes simple.
I made a rainy day dish that is going to sound complex, but it's not. Going to share the recipe. I hope (like the hot and sour soup) you try it and like it.
Spicy Chicken Enchilada Stew
- 2-4 Chicken breasts, cubed (I used smoked Turkey, but that's what we had hanging around our freezer)
- 2 Poblano Peppers
- 1 medium white or yellow onion
- 4 medium roma tomatoes
- 4 jalapenos
- 3 ears (or one large can) of sweet corn
- 1 T Onion Powder
- 1 T Garlic Flakes (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 T Cumin
- 1 T Cilantro
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 cups water
- Queso Fresco (or Monterey Jack Cheese)
- Fried Tortillas (or Doritos-type corn chips)
Roast the onion and poblanos or sweat them in a pot
Blend the roasted or sweated poblano peppers and onions with the water. Set aside
Slice the jalapenos into thin slices
Dice the Roma Tomatoes
Cut the corn off the cob
Cook the chicken in a couple of Tablespoons of oil or butter
Add the Jalapenos - cook till they soften
add the tomatoes
Add the Poblano puree. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer
Add the spices (Cilantro, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, cumin, and salt - - to taste)
Add the stock / broth bring to a simmer
Add the corn
Let this simmer (not a rolling boil) for 1-3 hours. Better yet, cook it, and put it in the fridge to sit over night.
Put some cheese and tortilla chips in a bowl, add the stew to cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. If you want, make (or buy) some pico de gallo and top the bow with this.
This can be a substantially spicy dish. If you want less spice, but the pepper flavor, make sure to cut the ribs and veins out of all of the peppers before you dice them .
I would love to know what you think about this recipe.
Here's when it is really good: When you need comfort, and warmth. Bon Apetit!
No comments:
Post a Comment